double rainbow

double rainbow

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Piece of Mind

There is a piece of my mind that is detrimental to my well being. The naysayer, the cynic, my own personal killjoy. Luckily this piece is usually pretty quiet and keeps to itself. It may whisper disparaging comments here and there, try to plant a few seeds of woe, but for the most part I can bat it away as effortlessly as you would a gnat, practically unaware of the nuisance.

Other times it’s more vociferous, demanding to be heard. Those are the times I may humor it, listen to the tirade, then simply shut it down and refuse to entertain the negativity any longer. Usually it doesn’t warrant or concern my time or attention.

But then there are times like now. When being heard isn’t good enough, I must feel the weight and corrosiveness. I must see the shadows, acknowledge the darkness. It’s these times when I find myself bogged down and unable to climb out of the marsh entirely on my own. It’s these times I need my friend.

My friend seems to always know what to say. She authenticates my feelings and my fears. She shares some of her own and I know I’m not alone, or worse, crazy. She gives me a good dose of reality and helps me laugh at myself and life and stretch marks. Slowly the light begins to push back the darkness; the long shadows begin to shorten. I’m grateful for my friend. She’s the type of friend you want for life and when I’m doing battle with this one piece of my mind, she helps return my peace of mind.

No comments: