double rainbow

double rainbow

Thursday, June 21, 2012

My Daughter's Charmed Life


Last summer Loretta asked me at least a dozen times to setup a lemonade stand.  We never got around to it and in all honesty I discouraged it.  We live at the corner of a residential intersection where cars cut through often and there is not a ton of pedestrian traffic.  When there is, it's typically people exercising who are unlikely to stop for lemonade.  I didn't want her to be disappointed as it was clear she was envisioning a financial windfall.

A few weeks ago we had a gorgeous day and I caved.  We were on a walk and Loretta was insistently begging to setup her stand.  I spent a fair amount of time preparing her for the very real probability that no one would stop. 

So we spend the next 20 minutes or so getting the stand together, making a sign, getting change, etc. etc.  During this time many cars are driving by and Loretta is getting more excited by the second, naming all the things she's going to buy.  She just finishes getting everything in place and the sign falls to the ground, she picks it up and there are 3 cars driving by at this point.  She looks up, sees the cars and at a normal conversational volume says, "Lemonade".  And the third car passing by literally slams on their brakes and skids into our driveway.  I couldn't believe it.  I swear that girl thinks she can snap her fingers and her fairy godmother will appear and I'm beginning to believe it too. 

We didn't get any more buyers, but the sweet older woman who lives across from us, her daughter came over just to give the girls money (she refused the lemonade because she had just had some wine with her mom).  We had about a zillion ants in the driveway from all of the spilled lemonade, Sam lost the money we made (and the change I had provided up front) in the yard, but all in all the kids thought it was a complete success.  Gotta love summertime.

No comments: