double rainbow

double rainbow

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Wild Flowers and Fancy Attire

Awhile ago I wrote about how I was envious of Loretta's ability to find a reason to celebrate every single day.  Last night, the kids and I went for a pre-dinner walk while John cooked.  Usually, Loretta is flying ahead of the rest of us on our walks, wanting to be the first to experience whatever may be just around the bend, a quiet bunny, a neighbor walking their dog; and we're always reminding her to slow down so we can all walk together.  So I was surprised when I noticed she had fallen behind and when I turned to find her, she was picking wild flowers on the side of the road.

In Loretta's world, taking pretty blooming weeds and turning them into a formal dinner party is a completely natural evolution.  First, we went home and filled out her bouquet with flowers from our wild flower garden.  Next, candles were demanded.  Then, she came bouncing over to me and defied gravity as she raised up to whisper in my ear (Mommy, can I PLEASE dress you for dinner?).  Fifteen minutes later we had all been dressed by Loretta, including picking out my jewelry and shoes.  Sam came bounding down the stairs in a button down, tucking in his shirt, Caroline went through several dressy dresses before choosing a black dress to match mommy.  John wore slacks, shirt and tie. 

We had a wonderful time and John promised something fancier than finger foods if Loretta gives him more notice next time.  I'm sure there will be many formal dinners to come with Loretta the driving force behind them.  Loretta's world is colorful, dramatic, fun and exciting and I highly recommend visiting whenever you have the chance. 

1 comment:

Meaghan said...

I love it. She has such a great way of finding fun!!