double rainbow

double rainbow

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

When Caroline Makes Up Her Mind


Man do I love how this girl's mind works.  I don't always understand it, but I completely envy it.  She is so decisive.  So in tune with herself and what she wants and what she doesn't want.  She is not swayed by peers either (with the exception of tv marketing, the girl wants everything she sees from the WaxVac to Hot Buns to trips to Atlantis).  For about a year and a half now she's been steadfast against the idea of playing soccer.  Simply not interested, and we didn't push, but out of nowhere she decided she was going to play and adamant that she'll be a great goalie too.  I have no idea what changed her mind, but both John and I wondered how far this would really go.  We know how determined she is when she sets her mind on something, but we also know how much she disliked the one season of soccer she did play.  Our Caroline loves swim, gymnastics, cooking.  She's not so much the competitive team sport type...so far anyway. 

At her first practice this girl played like she was trying out for the Olympic team.  She was aggressive and relentless, even knocking down a bigger boy to steal the ball from him (we have to teach her some rules there).  I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  Who was this girl?  I may not know what clicked in her mind to tackle soccer like she has and I don't know how long this phase will last, but I do know one thing with absolute certainty.  Our Caroline will continue to surprise us over and over again. 

No comments: