double rainbow

double rainbow

Friday, September 5, 2014

First Day of School!

Loretta (4th), Caroline (2nd) and Sam (K)



I hear so many moms out there (and dads) talk about wanting to freeze time, wishing they could stop their children from growing up and keep them young forever.  While I can understand the sentiment and I know someday I may feel the same, today, I'm definitely not one of those moms. I don't want to slow their growing or even rewind time to days of bundling little humans like tacos in baby blankets.  I'm the opposite. I love every milestone, every single step that inches them closer to the adults they will eventually become. I'm so anxious and eager to meet their future selves. Like a great book, I just wish I could skip ahead. Not to read a chapter or even a paragraph but just a word or two. Just to get a glimpse. I'm steadfastly against this when reading, I can't even flip the pages ahead to see how long a chapter is without feeling like I've cheated a little, but when it comes to my children, I'm glad sneaking a peek into their future is not possible because I'm sure I would be sorely tempted. 

It's not that I didn't enjoy the baby or toddler years. I did. I even enjoyed them in the moment (mostly). But I also did not lament every milestone, every lost tooth, first last haircut, first words, first...whatever as the heart wrenchingly sad end of an era. I celebrated each and every one without any bitterness, but excitement, already thinking about that next wonderful step they will take while simultaneously basking in the moment.  Maybe when they are off to college and our home is strangely quiet and I'm suffering from empty best syndrome I'll wish for those days. But for now, bring on the first days of a new grade, a new school (without a single ounce of fear mind you!), learning to ride on two wheels, french braiding their own hair, wearing dangle earrings, school crushes and even heart breaks because it's just the beginning of all of the firsts they will get to have and I feel so fortunate to be here for them. 

No comments: