double rainbow

double rainbow

Thursday, May 16, 2013

"When I'm Big, Like Daddy..."

"When I'm big, like Daddy..." is something I hear frequently these days.  Actually Sam's definition of growing up is "Big like Daddy and I can touch the ceiling."  So we  hear, "When I'm big, like Daddy and I can touch the ceiling, I'm going to ride a motorcycle." and "When I'm big, like Daddy and I can touch the ceiling, I'm going to do the monkey bars.".  "Swing by myself", "Go to the barber everyday", you get the picture.  Sam is in awe of John right now.  He loves wearing button down shirts everyday and gets so excited when his is similar to John's work shirt.  I still get the boo boo tears and the cuddles, but everything and anything cool is reserved for Daddy.

He wants to help John do everything and when I broke down and bought him an already assembled toddler bed he was so happy, until he realized that it meant he wouldn't get a chance to help Daddy put it together (like we had promised).  All John has to do is walk into the room and Sam's eyes light up.  He watches him so intently while we does handy things around the house and makes dinner.  Drives him crazy most of the time too with his incessant and repeated questions, but I think behind all of those questions he's mostly saying "look at me Daddy, I want to be like you." 




I so hope John is able to appreciate these moments while they last.  Every Dad gets to be a real life super hero for awhile to their children and John's time with Sam is happening right now.




No comments: